Paul went to his 2 week checkup at the pediatrician yesterday. He certainly doesn't appreciate the fact that the first thing we do there is strip him down to his diaper to weigh and measure him. Not a happy camper!
Paul has continued to gain weight, and is now up to 8lb 6oz. He is in the 50th percentile for weight. We have a wonderful pediatrician, Jen Massey, and she said everything looks great, and he is perfectly healthy. Also, Paul's umbilical cord stump finally fell off yesterday (yay!!) and we will be able to give him a real bath soon. (his belly button is not completely closed yet) So far, he HATES getting sponge baths. The only part he likes about the whole process is getting his hair washed.
Things have been going pretty well lately. The last two weeks have seemed more like one long blurry day. I guess that is what lack of good sleep will do. :-) Paul is doing really well at nursing, eating every 2 1/2 to 3 hours on average. A few times he has slept a little longer at night, which has been nice. This past week we had a new challenge with Paul deciding that screaming uncontrollably at night would be loads of fun! hehe. I had several friends recommend the book "The Happiest Baby on the Block" and my friend Alice let me borrow her copy. It has been so helpful. We started swaddling Paul super tight at night and using white noise and fast rocking and that has settled him down really well when he gets into those fits. We are also borrowing Alice's cradle swing, and he LOVES it.
We haven't taken a ton of pictures this past week, but here are a few recent ones!


6 comments:
i am glad to hear things are going well. i remember thinking the first two weeks with karissa were the longest two weeks of my life, everything seems to run together. but you guys have made it! i am glad you guys have discovered the blessing of white noise. it worked like a charm (for the most part) for karissa. that is why we are always showing up with a fan in warm weather and a humidifier in cold. you guys are doing awesome hang in there!
Awww! :) Sounds like he's doing well and you guys are doing great at being first time parents. I've been reading the "Babywise" book talking about feeding and sleep cycles for baby. It's interesting and sounds fairly logical. I've also heard about the happiest baby on the block. My cousins have used that one and I hope to as well. That's the 5 S's right? Such complex little beings they are. I'm catching up on my reading and baby research while I'm recovering. It's kind of nice to have some time to do that.
Good, good, good, glad those tips from Dr. Whoosisface are working for you. We used the jiggling move ALOT. Thanks for posting the cute pics!
Hey Melissa! Thanks for posting some pictures!! So cute! Great to talk with you guys yesterday. Can't wait until we can meet Paul in person! I will try to get a hold of that book - the contented little baby. I dont know if it will be different/better/worse than other things you've read, but maybe it will help! The little one I was babysitting for was transitioning from China time to Boston time, and she seemed to be very content! :)
I love the cuddling pictures. That is something I miss so much now that JR is bigger. There is nothing like a little one sleeping on you!
I'm glad to hear that white noise is working for you. It was something that we had to do for JR in the beginning as well! Hang in there!
we read that same book! dr massey is our pediatrician too. she's very nice! he is so cute and i can't believe that belly button already fell off. mine kept theirs for a month.
Post a Comment