Micah and Paul have been practicing the bottle-thing lately so that Paul has a little easier adjustment next week. I have been pumping like crazy to build up a supply in the freezer, and the pumping has started to get a little easier. Paul is adjusting to using a bottle pretty well. The first couple of times Micah gave him one he resisted at first, but now when he sits down with Micah he latches on to the bottle right away. I really like the Playtex drop-ins and the Playtex nipples. They are working really well for us. The first two times we gave him a bottle, we used a Medela bottle that we got as a free sample, and it is supposed to mimic breastfeeding with a slow flow nipple, but it flows WAY faster than the Playtex. Paul could barely handle it, he was almost choking because it was coming out so fast.
Paul has been doing well the last week. He is sleeping a little better and has been napping better during the day. I finally bought the book "Healthy sleep habits, happy child" that was recommended by Meaghan, and I'm so glad I did! It had some really good suggestions. One thing we have started doing that is working well for us is putting Paul down for a nap at the first signs that he is drowsy, not waiting until he is really tired. Often, this means putting him down after an hour to an hour and a half since he last woke up, but that's newborns for you! They can't stay awake for more than 2 hours without getting overtired.
I think our increased napping combined with him getting a little older has really helped decrease the fussiness at night. Thank goodness! He has been sleeping fairly well at night lately too, waking up once or twice to eat, but not fussing too much. That extra sleep has been such a blessing this week.
One big milestone we have reached is SMILING! Our little guy is smiling at us all the time now. It is so adorable!! And he also will coo, gurgle, and grunt a lot. He seems much more interested in the things around him, like the toys that dangle from his bouncy seat and his playmat. Here are some pictures of him enjoying his playmat. I took a really cute video of him playing yesterday, and will try to post it as soon as I figure out how! It's easy to post videos that I take with my little digital camera, but videos from the camcorder are harder to figure out how to get on here. Apparently there is something different about the type of file or something... we'll figure it out soon hopefully.
We are looking forward to a visit from Aunt Lydia tomorrow! (and soon-to-be Uncle Brian!) We are so excited about their beach wedding in September!! It will be Paul's first visit to the beach!
Please be keeping us in your prayers as I return to work. It is going to be a tough adjustment (more for me than for Paul, I'm sure). Also, I am taking my Pedo boards qualifying exam on the 16th, and have not had much time to study (or much motivation to study) recently. (Hmmm... I wonder why??) That, combined with a bad case of baby-brain, means I'm not too optimistic about the whole thing. I figure that worst-case scenario, I have two more chances to pass the qualifying exam. Hopefully all the things I have learned over the past two years will stick and I'll do ok. The dumb thing is that even though the exam is given in May, the board won't release our scores until we are done with the residency, so the earliest I will know if I passed is mid-July. The people who are done with residency and out in private practice who take it get their scores right away. Not fair!
I have instructed Micah to take lots of pictures of Paul while I am at work these next few weeks, so I don't miss anything. :-) We will post more pictures soon! He is growing and changing so much!


4 comments:
Happy 6- weeks! He's growing so fast! You really are blessed to have family around you to watch Paul- esp now with the flu going around you don't want to stick him in day care! Good luck on your boards and hope your 1st day back at work goes smoothly (and quickly).
So glad to hear the book is helping you! His sleeping will continue to get better and better!
You'll do great going back to work. If you're not a speeder already, you probably will become one now. I used to SPEED home after work to get to Ava quick! Great child care arrangements you've got! Can't get any better than that! Great that Micah gets to spend good time with him too! (Makes it a little easier to leave when you're leaving him with daddy)! One thing that I really love that Patrick started for me on my first day back was sending me a picture of Ava via text message. At least one a day when I started back to work. And now, 20 months later, I still get a picture everyday entitled "Daily Ava." He sends it to my phone and my email so I can see it asap! :) He now sends it to all the grandparents, aunts, uncles, and God parents...everyday, they get the Daily Ava picture to their phone/email! It helped me!
Melissa, you are a kick butt test taker, so I don't think you have anything to worry about! I'm taking mine on the 11th. Review the reference manual and the handbook, and you'll do great, I'm sure! I'll be praying for you though.
Have a good day tomorrow!
so, how was the first day back??
anyway, weird thing. i just made a comment about the book you mentioned and i think somehow i posted it to the "if the diaper fits" blog.
Post a Comment