Sunday, July 5, 2009

Rollin, rollin, rollin...

That's right... our little guy has started rolling! He first rolled over on Friday, and I was a little shocked. I turned around and there he was, lying on his stomach. Now, it is all he wants to do. The second we lay him on his back for anything... playmat, diaper change, etc... he immediately tries to flip over on to his belly. The bad thing is, once he's on his stomach, he really doesn't like it. I think it might be because he can't do much on his belly except lift up his head and look around. So for the past two days, we have been going through the following scenario time and time again. Lay Paul on his back, flip over, start crying, let him try to work it out and get used to his belly, start screaming, we flip him back over, he immediately flips back onto his belly... Needless to say it has been a slightly frustrating experience for all.

The other thing that has been effected is his sleep. My normally very good sleeper is having a bit of a hard time. In the past, if he starts to stir after going to sleep, he is pretty good at settling himself and going back to sleep. Now, when he wakes up (either already on his belly, or flips to his belly after waking up, I'm not sure) he gets really frustrated and can't get back to sleep. Hopefully this will get better quickly! We are a little unsure what to do about the swaddling at the moment. At first, we thought that being in the swaddle was what was frustrating him when he flipped over, but when we tried either without it completely, or wrapped up with his arm or arms free, it was even worse! Sigh... we'll figure it out eventually I suppose! I was just getting so spoiled by his great sleeping habits!

In other news.... I am DONE with my residency! Whoohoo! I finished officially this past Tuesday, and I am loving the extra time with my little man. I start my new job on the 22nd, but will only be working two days a week. A very sweet woman from our church, Carol, will be babysitting Paul while I am at work. Carol is a mom of 3 teenage daughters, and has homeschooled them all. She will be coming over to our house to watch Paul, which is such a blessing! We are lucky to have found her!

We took this picture Saturday morning. He was actually swaddled pretty well overnight, and squirmed his way out of it by morning. I have a feeling we won't be swaddling too much longer, given that he can maneuver his way out of the Miracle Blanket now...

Fell asleep while playing in his bouncy seat... I normally try to get him to his crib before this point, but he must have had an exciting morning.

We have just started using the jump-a-roo that John and Elaine lent us. Paul loves it so far, although he is still a little small for it.

We have some good video of Paul rolling over, and Micah is currently putting it on youtube. I'll post a link when it is all finished.

3 comments:

Dyane said...

maybe try those sleep positioners - they have these foam triangles on each side. we never really encountered this problem because karissa slept in that amby bed till well after she could roll on her tummy and back.

Sara said...

:( Sorry you and Paul are getting frustrated. Isn't it just amazing to think about all the things we take for granted now that we had to learn as babies?
Is he too big for a sleep positioner to keep him on his back? maybe you could block him from rolling?
Congrats on finishing!!

Melissa said...

I've seen those positioners, but I'm not sure they would work for him. He can be pretty determined. (Even gets *almost* rolled over when he is strapped into his bouncy seat) He has gotten a little better over the last 2 nights, so hopefully it will get better. I discovered that the tighter I swaddle even now, the better he sleeps. I guess we're stuck with the swaddling for now. :-)