Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Journey Begins & How we found out...

From the beginning, Micah and I were always sure that we wanted children in our future. However, we have spent all of our married life so far with one (or both!) spouse in school full time. With my formal education nearing an end (I will finish my residency next June) we were spending a lot of time talking and praying about when to try for our first! Probably about 6 months ago or so, we really felt sure about starting to try this summer, shortly after our 6 year anniversary! (6 years... are we really that old???)

The funny thing is, we kind of had "one shot" at getting pregnant, and then would have to wait for several months before trying again, due to me having to take board exams next May. Most of the month of June, and beginning of July, I was working REALLY HARD to not get my hopes up. I was CONVINCED that we wouldn't be pregnant.

When I couldn't stand it anymore, I went to go get a pregnancy test. I happened to be at the grocery store with a friend (who knew we were trying). I was SHOCKED at how expensive these things were that you pee on! Seriously!!!! Even the Kroger brand was nearly $10. So, off we went to the Dollar store... that's right. You can get pregnancy tests at the dollar store.

The next day, still pretty convinced I wasn't pregnant, I took the dollar store test. BAM! 2 lines showed up almost immediately. Suddenly, I was not so confident in the Dollar store brand pregnancy test. Hahaha.

So, off we went to buy the "Most advanced piece of technology I would ever pee on." (By the way, they were MUCH cheaper at wal-mart!) This time, I set down the test and tried to walk away for the prescribed 2 minutes, but couldn't stop staring at it. After about 15 seconds, "Pregnant" popped up on the screen. There was no denying it then, I was knocked up!

So that's it in a nut-shell! Our little person is now about the size of a lentil. We're so excited! Of course, my over-worrying self is a little freaked out still. I think I know too much about the human body from school, and all of the statistics are scary, I mean, 15-20% miscarriage rate? Wowzers!! But, we know that no matter what happens, this is all in God's timing, and His plan.

2 comments:

Dyane said...

I am soooo excited for you guys! Pregnancy is fun, a little nerve racking, but fun! I see that y'all have already started the compare the baby to food thing. At times John would go get whatever the food was to celebrate. Also I sometimes referred to the baby by whatever "food-size" it was i.e. "Lemon sure didn't like the Mexican food I ate." It got a little boring calling the baby it. We are praying for you daily. We even have a few prayer warriors up here praying for you.

Meaghan said...

Ha ha ha! Why am I not surprised you went to the dollar store! ;) That's funny...

Oh, that is just so exciting. I remember the moment I found out...looked at the pee stick and was SHOCKED when it said pregnant. And then so incredibly happy. I'm so happy for y'all....this is great news.