Sunday, March 15, 2009

Things I should have asked about during pre-marital counseling...

Well, we are still waiting on Paul to make his arrival. We've been walking as much as possible the last couple of days, hoping that will speed things along.

I had an interesting conversation with Mary today (my awesome mother-in-law, for those of you who don't know her). She called to check and see how we were doing. Micah and I had commented to each other the other day that we didn't know how big of a baby he was, or how late/early he was. So I asked Mary... maybe I shouldn't have.

Let me preface this by saying that I (like my brother) was born 2 days EARLY, and weighed somewhere in the 6lb something range. Very cute and tiny. My sister was the "big one" being a few weeks late, and weighing in a little over 8 lb.

Mary told me that all three of the Shaw babies were late. Jeremy about 4 weeks, Micah about 3 weeks, and Lydia only by 1 week. And, she informed me that Lydia was by far her smallest baby, weighing in at 9lb, 12oz. WHAAAAAT??? Apparently Micah and Jeremy both tipped the scales at over 10lb.

Why didn't I know this before I let these superhuman Shaw genes meld with mine???

Apparently Micah also has a great grandmother who gave birth to twins that were 11lb each. SERIOUSLY?? Is that even possible???

hahaha. Well, I'm just hoping that the combo of Shaw and Haley genes will make for an average sized baby. :-) I am thankful that Micah has a fairly small head. haha!

Here's hoping that I go into labor soon, so this baby doesn't get any bigger than he (gulp!) already might be.

In all seriousness, though, I know that no matter how big Paul is, I am confident that he will get here one way or another. Plus, I was remembering what our childbirth teacher told us, and that she couldn't tell any difference pushing out her first two babies (both 7lb'ers) and her 3rd (9 1/2 lbs) She said they felt the same to her. I know that this is what God designed my body to do, so I just have to relax and let my body do its job!

We'll keep you updated if anything exciting happens!

5 comments:

Sara said...

If it's any consolation (may have already told you this, but it's a good time for hearing it again), Chuck's great-grandmother had a 12 lb baby naturally with no complications and not even a tear down there! And Selman babies (her married name) are known for having big heads! We ARE truly designed for this job. :)

Dyane said...

the sayings that goes something like ... once you have that baby in your arms you forget everything ... is so true. you don't necessarily forget, forget it but some how it really just doesn't matter. the last nine months will seem like a dream and life will becomes a whole new set of rules and some how much faster. just keep reminding yourself that you will finally be able to see that wonderful little thing you have been feeling all these months and i think you find yourself willing to go through anything. ok. i think just made myself cry. i am just so excited for you!

Meaghan said...

you're right! your body was made for this, and you're doing great being so optimistic and patient! i'm thinking of you every day now!!!

Melissa said...

Thanks for all of the encouraging words! They really mean a lot!!

Unknown said...

he's going to come today :) if not, then, well, i'm wrong! praying for you!!