Our appointment today went really well. We did the sonogram first, and the first thing the tech said was that he was head down (whoohoo!) Not only that, but he is also in the correct presentation (facing my back, not the front). Hopefully he will not twist around too much in the next few weeks, but if he turns posterior, there are some not too difficult techniques to try and turn him back. Much better than having to worry about him being breech. What a relief! So this last month or so when I felt that huge lump moving around at the top of my belly and thought it was his bum sticking out... I was right!
They estimated his weight at a hair over 5 pounds. Our doctor said this is around the 35th percentile for size. So it looks like he will be a very average sized baby... she said there is a lot of variability in the last few weeks, and this is just an estimation, but she guesses he will be around 7 1/2 to 8 lbs in the end.
The sonogram tech did print a couple pictures for us, but I haven't gotten a chance to scan them. They're not too interesting though. Because of his position, they couldn't get any good shots of his face. I even asked if she could double check the sex (just in case!) and she said "Nope, sorry! He's tucked into a little ball and won't let us see anything. He was also too big to fit on the screen, so the pictures are a little weird.
As usual, our doctor was running late today. We actually had to wait a good deal longer than normal, but she was apparently scheduled in surgery this morning where she was doing the second part of the surgery, and the first part took about 1 1/2 hours longer than expected. After all of the combo OR cases we did with plastic surgery and ENT at the hospital in Atlanta, I definitely understood. Sometimes things happen and you can't help it. In general, I usually don't mind the wait at these appointments. I love our doctor, and usually if she's running late its because of working in an emergency or getting called downstairs for a delivery. It makes me feel good to know that if it were me with the emergency or delivery in the middle of a busy fully-booked day, she would still be there for me. She said that she actually delivers close to 95% of her patients. I know other people who have had a problem with this (one friend even told me recently that when she went into labor, the nurse came in and said "We paged your doctor, but she's not answering the pages, what would you like us to do?" Yikes!). Our doctor said that even if I come in overnight when she is not on call, they will go ahead and call her when we get close to delivery so that she can be there.
So it looks like everything is going well! We just need our little guy to cook a little longer before he joins us! I'm starting to get a little more anxious, not nervous so much as I just really want him to be here so I can meet him!! But, we've still got some work to do on his room (uh... a LOT of work actually) so maybe its best that he waits a while longer. :-)


2 comments:
I'm so glad that your doctor is awesome, especially since it's the first baby for you and Micah. That can put a lot of anxiety on hold. :) So glad you are doing well, bebe!
It is so fun to read your blog, because I am at the same exact point with my little girl. She's head down and she likes to stick her little butt out. We tell her that she's not a chicken trying to get out of an egg. We also found out this week that she's head down and all that. Only four weeks to go-I can't wait! (Even though I also have LOTS to do still...)
Post a Comment